IBR is caused by a bovine Herpes virus. It is a highly contagious disease that is associated with abortion and respiratory signs. Transmission of IBR can be via nasal/oral secretions or from bull semen. Once an animal becomes infected, it remains infected for life despite producing what appears to be a successful immune response. These animals can continue to shed the virus throughout their life, especially during periods of stress.
- Airway inflammation and pneumonia
- Milk yield loss
- Inflamed eyes
- Vaccination (please consult your farm vet)
- Biosecurity measures such as ensuring boundaries with neighbouring farms are secure
- Only purchase cattle from IBR-free herds
Through our labs, we can offer the following testing options:
- Bulk milk antibody ELISA (for dairy herds)
- Individual cow milk antibody ELISA
- GE antibody ELISA (to differentiate between infection and vaccination)
For detailed information on our IBR Testing Services, please visit the NML website or contact Customer Services.
NML IBR Testing Services